Thursday, July 30, 2009

Quasi Vacay

Are you familiar with the ways in which you act differently when on vacation? Suddenly, when we are in a new place with no chance of seeing anyone that we know, our senses are heightened and we investigate the world around us with childlike eyes, eager to know everything about our environment. We take pictures of things that might otherwise seem mundane, we people watch with an even further intensified curiosity, smells are captivating, and it's almost comforting to hide in the new domain feeling somehow removed as we drink it in while the bustle hastens around us.

I hadn't anticipated finding this in the concrete oven that is Carrollton, Texas; but alas, I was in for quite the surprise. On Sunday's Sabbath, I had hoped to retreat to some place that offered me bubble tea, instead I found an entire Korean Universe, just down the road.

I decided to investigate the shopping center, be it unassuming and quite frankly plain from the outside. On the far left side of the center, I wandered into the Market where I was instantly entranced by what I found. I had entered what I thought to have been one building, but instead, there were more than a dozen other shops and stores, lining the edges of the huge market. Korean families, dressed in their Sunday best, moved quickly around me and the hum of their language wrapped around me, to a soundtrack of beeping checkouts and an assortment of what closely resembled video game music.

Before making my way to the marketplace, I quickly turned into one of the stores, where rows of polka dotted journals, Hello Kitty Merchandise, and french note cards awaited me. Everything was inexpensive, and I had to keep reminding myself that I could easily return, that I needn't buy every sticker that was smaller than the size of my pinky. After gathering my treats, and trying to continue on my journey, I checked out (where my Hello Kitty debit card was finally rightly appreciated), mesmerized by the origami roses which crowned the cash register in a rich assortment of colors.

In the market, I found over 30 kinds of Korean pickle, fast food stone bowls and the best samples of your life. Say goodbye to Sam's Club, and hello to fried rice, Chilean Sea Bass, pot stickers and sushi for sampling! I gobbled them up, entranced by the myriad of flat screens broadcasting underwater scenes from atop each fish case. The smell of raw fish was very reminiscent of China Town, without the heat (thankfully). My appetite, however, only increased as I made my way through the isles of tiny treats and perfectly creative packaging.

After pursuing a bit longer and trying on some authentically out of my price range jade jewelry, I made my way out of the market and continued toward my ultimate destination. I passed by Yogurtland and maintained self control as I made my way to Mozart's Bakery, where I found a carb lover's paradise. The glass cases were filled with all kinds of pastrys. Some were your typical almond croissant and cream cheese danish, but I could barely contain myself as I noticed red bean bread, sticky rice puffs, sweet potato bread, and an entire assortment of mousse and tartlets which were a work of art in appearance alone! I was recommended the Ganache moose and plan to have it next time with my cappuccino.

For the day, I was perfectly content to spread out my new treasures and sip on my bubble tea, as others sat in the booths with the pull down shades, whispering over their tea and almond cookies. If you are ever in the area, I would highly recommend this universe that I sort of stumbled upon. We could have a hot stone bowl, and top it off with some tart yogurt with fresh lychee.







Location Station (Link to map)

No comments: